Explore Australia’s Cities on a Budget and See More for Less
There is so much to see when you are on holiday in Australia. One of the best ways to see more within your travel budget is by discovering what can be done for free in each city. When you plan to incorporate some of these exciting free activities or destinations in each city, you can still do everything you want while still staying in your budget. We have a list of things you can do in some of Australia’s most popular major cities that are all completely free. Whenever you are on holiday in Australia, be sure to rent a car with Budget so that you will have the best wheels to help you get around where you want to go and stay as long as you like. Hiring a car with Budget also means staying within your budget because we offer the best rental prices.
Free Things to Do in Sydney
The Rocks Photo Credit: Wikipedia
Sydney is the capital of New South Wales and one of the most iconic cities in the world. It is located right on the coast of the Tasman Sea and bordered to the west by the Blue Mountains. Of course, walking through the city and touring the famous sights along the Sydney Harbour is completely free and so is taking a scenic drive into the mountains, which are just 30 minutes west of Sydney’s CBD. However, here are 5 specific free excursions you can take while in Sydney:
1. Walk through the Royal Botanic Gardens.
2. Tour the Australian National Maritime Museum.
3. Spend the day at the beach. Both Manly and Bondi Beach are great choices.
4. See the public gallery at The Art Gallery of New South Wales.
5. Walk through The Rocks historic area of Sydney’s City Centre.
Free Things to Do in Melbourne
Royal Botanic Gardens Melbourne Photo Credit: VisitVictoria.com
Melbourne is the capital city of Victoria and is a metropolitan hub for Australia and the Southern Hemisphere. It is known as one of the best cities in the world to live in; but vacationing here is also a great idea. Even though Melbourne is typically regarded as an expensive city to get around in, there are still plenty of destinations that are free and can offset the other expenses. Here are five free things to do while in Melbourne:
1. Take a free walking tour of the Royal Botanic Gardens Melbourne.
2. See the permanent collections at the NGV (National Gallery of Victoria).
3. Stroll along the Yarra River and see the sights.
4. Check out the Esplanade and the beach at St. Kilda.
5. Ride the City Circle Tram which takes you on a tour of the entire city.
Free Things to Do in Brisbane
South Bank of Brisbane Photo Credit: (Wikipedia) By willislim – http://www.flickr.com/photos/willislim/3803033375/, CC BY-SA 2.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=9052861
Brisbane is the Capital of Queensland and is a city growing in metropolitan reputation. Brisbane is on the coast, so there is plenty to do on the beaches and you are just a little bit south of Great Barrier Reef destinations. However, there is still plenty to do right in the heart of the city completely for free.
1. Visit the South Bank, the district on the south side of the Brisbane River.
2. Ride the City Hopper ferry boat through the Brisbane River and tour the city.
3. See Brisbane’s Botanic Gardens.
4. Take a scenic drive to Mt Coot-tha Botanic Gardens.
5. Enjoy the beaches at Noosa or the Wynnum Wading Pool.
Free Things to Do in Perth
Australian Sea Lions in Shoalwater Marine Park Photo Credit: WesternAustralia.com
Perth is the capital of Western Australia and while it is the 4th most populous city in Australia, it is one of the fastest growing ones. There are many natural attractions which tend to also be free and they are perfect with the great climate in this region of Western Australia. Perth is on the coast of the Indian Ocean, so free beaches are a good thing to consider, as with any coastal city. Here are 5 attractions in Perth that you can do on holiday for free:
1. Shoalwater Island Marine Park where you can see the Australian Sea Lions and other marine life like Little Penguins, dolphins, and even whales during migration season.
2. Kings Park is the largest inner city park in the Southern Hemisphere with a 750 year old boab tree and over 3,000 flowering plant species.
3. Visit nearby Mandurah Estuary and Peel Inlet for dolphin watching, fishing, crabbing, and swimming.
4. Take one of the longest bush walks in the world; the Bibbulmun Track is 1,000 km long and runs from the Perth Hills south to Albany.
5. Take a scenic drive west to the Perth Hills or south to the Margaret River Wine Region.
Free Things to Do in Sunshine Coast
Mapleton Falls Lookout Photo Credit: nprsr.qld.gov.au
Sunshine Coast is a popular tourist destination on the Queensland coast. It’s just about a 2 hour drive north of Brisbane. There is so much to see and do in this region of Queensland including Australia’s most visited national park, Noosa Heads National Park, Fraser Island, and Hervey Bay in addition to the southern reaches of the Great Barrier Reef. Here some of the great free activities you can do while in Sunshine Coast:
1. Free national park entry to any of the 13 national parks in the Sunshine Coast region.
2. Scenic drive west to the Sunshine Coast Hinterland.
3. Tour the Botanic Gardens of Sunshine Coast
4. Fresh and saltwater fishing spots.
5. Relax or play on any of Sunshine Coast’s beaches including Noosa, Caloundra, Kings Beach, Bulcock Beach, Golden Beach, Cotton Tree, Mooloolaba Beach, or MooloolabaSpitail.